Saturday, November 14th, 2009

Hit the Links or the Bike Trail?

This morning, I decided to take a nice long bike ride. Based upon all the weather reports, the morning and afternoon looked good with a possibility of showers in the evening. I enjoyed breakfast, visited Humzoo and Facebook, then left the house. What a beautiful morning. The temperatures reached the upper-50s by 9 a.m.

At that point, I questioned whether or not I really wanted to try and hit the links. I didn't play golf nearly as much as I intended this spring, summer and fall. Perhaps just nine holes at Sugar Creek in Villa Park. I decided against it since I just checked my bike tires and gave them much needed air.

Off to the Salt Creek Greenway Trail. Since we may not have another weekend like this the remainder of the year, I decided to follow the trail all the way to the end in Brookfield. In total, this is a 25-mile route roundtrip. The last time I made the full trip was in late July. With all the rain we had recently, I didn't get out as much. I passed through Eldridge Park (saw a smashed toilet on the west side of the park), rode under Roosevelt Road, weaved through York Woods and along the Oak Brook Golf Club. Then I heard a sound.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

When I heard the noise, I assumed my bike lock slipped and hit my back tire. When I put my bike in our garage about a month ago, I knew I did not replace that properly. I moved it and rode on. I didn't make it much farther and the sound returned. I looked to my right and saw the lush green fairways of the Oak Brook Golf Club. I wondered why I didn't go golfing instead.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

I stopped at the intersection of York Road and 31st Street in Oak Brook to see what the issue was. Curses! A flat rear tire. I checked my trip and I made it 4.17 miles from home. I decided I couldn't make it any farther and would have to head back. I remembered passing an Oak Brook police officer sitting in a school parking lot about a half mile back. He obviously was waiting for speeders on York Road. By the time I made it to the school, he was gone. Figures.

What to do?

I figured I was only three and half miles from home, so I would continue to walk. Absolutely no one was on the trail. By the time I made it about one mile from home, a fellow biker stopped and asked if I needed help. I thanked him for the offer and told him I was so close to home that I would manage. He rode along.

Just a little farther along, another biker stopped. Same discussion took place.

What a Saturday morning. I should have dusted off my clubs.

Funny. I started to ask you earlier when you mentioned now warm it was if you would go bike riding. Guess we had the same idea. Maybe I should have asked about golf and saved you some of your grief. :)
LGrant   Saturday, November 14, 2009
Yes, next time let's do that differently.
Bill Pearch   Saturday, November 14, 2009
Oh, man, what a bummer. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Bill. Next time go golfing!
!   Saturday, November 14, 2009
I make similar choices when I bow hunt. I will choose a certain location to sit. After three or four hours of not seeing a deer I just know the other area that I had thought about going to probably had a dozen deer stroll by!!
stheinz   Saturday, November 14, 2009
The grass is always greener...
Who knows what would have happened on the golf course!
K8Day   Sunday, November 15, 2009
Yeah, I might have walked away with a nine on a hole.
Bill Pearch   Sunday, November 15, 2009
Leave a Comment

Your Name
Publish Comment