Tuesday, April 29th, 2008

This Baseball Blog is Rated R

Where were you on April 29, 1983? I would wager an 85% chance you were at work slaving away for the man. Still, there was a 15% chance you were at Wrigley Field watching the Chicago Cubs lose to the Los Angeles Dodgers. I was just a fourth grader with a paper route back then.

Back then, the Cubs weren't the marketing machine we know today. The Chicago Tribune purchased the team and Wrigley Field back in 1981. Harry Caray was still better known as the announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago White Sox. Ryne Sandberg, the future-Hall-of-Famer, was beginning his second full season with the Cubs.

Let's set the stage. The Cubs led the Dodgers 2-0 in the fifth inning, only to lose 4-3 in front of 9,391 fans. Lee Smith, the Cubs' closer in those days, threw a wild pitch during the eighth inning which allowed the winning run to cross the plate. Fans began throwing garbage toward Keith Moreland and Larry Bowa as they left the playing field. Lee Elia, the Cubs' manager, blew a gasket during his infamous rant and rattled off 50 obscenities. This clearly ranks among the most famous manager meltdowns in baseball history.

Want to hear the rant?

Happy 25th anniversary, Lee.


9 Comments
daveheinzel
Oh hell yeah, that was awesome! Makes ol' Lou look like Mary Poppins.
Dave Heinzel   Tuesday, April 29, 2008
reera
You amaze me with your wealth of baseball facts.
dannie   Tuesday, April 29, 2008
betsyradish
Holy Smokes!!! I could only listen to about 30 seconds of it. I am pretty close to the kiddie area in the Dr's office right now!
Betsy   Tuesday, April 29, 2008
billpearch
Lee lets it fly in this one. Listen with caution.
Bill Pearch   Tuesday, April 29, 2008
betsyradish
Bill, Sportscenter totally ripped off your blog for their show tonight!
Betsy   Tuesday, April 29, 2008
billpearch
ESPN! Curses!
Bill Pearch   Tuesday, April 29, 2008
_DELETED_carriepassante
Found this tonight on ESPN... whoa!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3372891&lpo...
Carrie   Tuesday, April 29, 2008
billpearch
Carrie, thanks for the link. I didn't realize that Les Grobstein was the guy who recorded the outburst. He was a long-time Score guy, at least back in the beginning of the radio station.
Bill Pearch   Wednesday, April 30, 2008
_DELETED_carriepassante
No problem. I didn't realize who the guy even was that you talked about. I was 8 going on 9 at that time and was definitely more interested in Strawberry Shortcake and making charm pins for my shoes.
Carrie   Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Leave a Comment


Your Name
Publish Comment