« Previous   Next »

Recent Blogs

Tuesday, December 14th, 2010

Car Trouble

What a horrible afternoon.

After dropping Lilly off at school, I fed 6 his lunch and then we went to Target so I could get some stocking stuffers and a few last little gifts for Charlie's nieces and nephews. We were there for about an hour and 6 was getting restless--he was tired of sitting in the cart and really needed a nap.

It was freezing out--maybe 16'--and I didn't have gloves or hats for either one of us because we were just running in and out of the store...we'd be outside for less than a minute both ways. What I didn't count on was not being able to get my car to start.

I got 6 in his carseat, unloaded my bags and got in the car. Put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn. I tried and tried and it just wouldn't move. I asked a man who was walking by if he could look at it but he just kind of peeked in the car and said "maybe you're battery is dead" and kept walking. I guess I can't really blame him, it was ridiculously cold out and I'm sure the last thing he wanted to deal with was a hysterical woman and her equally hysterical son. 6 was really unhappy at this point--hungry, tired and uncomfortable.

Let me mention here that my cell phone was sitting all nice and cozy on my kitchen counter.

After a few minutes I got him in the stroller and we went in to the service desk. I completely lost it--could barely even talk at this point. The woman I was talking to asked the security guard to help me out, and he was so nice that I started crying even harder. He tried to get the key to turn and didn't have any luck either, so we went back inside and he got the yellow pages out for me. I tried the Jeep dealership, but no one answered. So then I called a towing company and could barely even tell the owner what was wrong. When he said it would take 30-45 minutes to get to me, I completely lost it.

We went back to the car and I tried again and again to get it to work. At least we were out of the wind, but the car was so cold. Thankfully it was also a mess, thanks to Lilly, and I was able to cover his legs with one of her discarded jackets and I also found a pair of her mittens for him to wear (which he promptly tore off.) At this point I realized I still had to figure out how I was going to get the two of us home. And with no cell phone, I had no idea who to call, since I didn't know anyone's phone number. Charlie was on a plane, coming home from Detroit, and I figured he was my best bet, so we went back inside and asked if I could use their phone again. I left him a message that as soon as he got home he was going to have to drive to Target to pick us up.

We waited inside for another 20 minutes or so and then the tow truck finally showed up. He wasn't able to get the key to turn either, and since the parking lot was so packed, he said he'd have to come back after they closed to pick up the car. He said he could drive us home, though Charlie would have to sit on my lap, since the car seat wouldn't fit in the cab (and there was no way to hook it up). At this point I was so grateful to be going home that I didn't even care how we got there. Had it been warmer (and if we had been properly dressed) I would have walked the 2 miles.

I called Charlie again as soon as we got inside and left another message. He called back within minutes to let me know he was on his way. Once he got home, we all went back to Target and what do you know, a little WD-40 was all the stupid ignition needed to make the damn key turn. He followed us home and turned the car off. When he tried to start it again, the key would no longer turn. ARGH!

I called the towing company to let him know that we still needed his services, but he'd have an easier time getting the car onto the flatbed now. It was now 5:15 and I had to leave to pick Lilly up from a friend's house. I was so incredibly grateful that she had a play date today--with no phone and the mental state I was in during this whole ordeal, I don't know what I would have done if she would have been left stranded at school. So through all of this I was thankful that if this had to happen, it happened on a day that she was taken care of.

So the car is sitting at the mechanic and we're hoping they'll be able to fix it tomorrow.

Unrelated, but bumming me out nonetheless...Lilly's last tap class is tomorrow morning and we'll have to miss it because Charlie has to drive to work. It's parent observation day too. Not only that, but Lilly's winter concert is tomorrow afternoon, and Charlie had promised her he'd be there. Now he's saying things are too busy at work and he's not sure he'll be able to make it home. Lilly is so bummed and I am so sad for her. I feel like I've been crying all day...I just can't stop.

Talk about a bad day and bad timing when things are a little busy and crazy! I'm glad it all turned out all right and everyone is safely at home. Never seems to fail that things like this happen when it is the worst time--no cell phone, poor tired and hungry Charlie #6, cold, etc. Hopefully you feel better now and the car will be fixed quickly and things will get back to fun and getting to places you need to get to with your car.
LGrant   Tuesday, December 14, 2010
You had a Murphy's day. :( They suck big time! I'm sorry you had such a crappy day! At least you had a few angels here and there to make things less awful than they could have been. I'm sure by this weekend there will be some sweet things to sink your teeth into....or cry over, which ever you prefer. ;)
Richie & Ashley   Wednesday, December 15, 2010
There is NOTHING worse than car trouble!!!$%^$!@$ Especially on one of the coldest days of the year!!!%&^#@%#$% What a horrible day, Jules. How I wish I lived closer so you could have called me!!!ll I would have been a basket case too!!! Hope today is much, much better and that everything works out for your family. Let us know and good luck!!
!   Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Crazy day! I hope you get it fixed soon and that you guys all make it Lilly's events.
Denny Deaton   Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Oh no! What a horrible day. Car trouble is the WORST!
Merritt   Wednesday, December 15, 2010
I'm glad I'm not the only one who would have been bawling my eyes out. It doesn't take much for me to break down anymore.
soundchick   Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Leave a Comment

Your Name
Publish Comment