How I Spent My Memorial Day VacationEver since I moved into the house, I've wanted to update the kitchen cabinets so that the lower cabinets would be more effective. I've done some work with the upper cabinets but struggled with the lower ones due to size constraints. I wanted wood but just couldn't find the right sizes locally when looking for the pull-outs. I finally found some nice chrome ones at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Yes, with coupons and gift cards--they will cost me nothing. This morning I tackled the first one.
My mechanical skills are a little rusty. I haven't done much with tools for some time. I did purchase a cordless drill around Christmas but my skills with it are even worse. Still, the floor of the cabinet was too hard to start a screw without drilling a hole so I went and got the drill and sundry tools.
My measuring wasn't the best but I managed to get it done and started with the first rail per instructions. It didn't go too badly but I can't say I felt confident that I did it well. On to rail two. When I got to that one, things went even worse--I was able to get the drill bit stuck in the cabinet and couldn't get it out. I tried over and over to reverse it but the clamp didn't seem to hold on tight enough. I went on the web and did some searching "stuck drill bit" and felt better with all the company I found. I went back to using pliers but had no success. Finally I decided to tap it with the hammer and see if I could loosen it enough to get it out with pliers. Instead, I sheared it off and broke the bit.
I went back to work and changed the spot for the screw and used a smaller drill bit to get the holes started. FINALLY I got done and prayed the mechanically inept prayer of "please let it work without having to undo the work done!" Gratefully my prayers were answered and the pull-out works great. I think I'm done with tools for a bit (no pun intended)--don't want to push my luck. One down--three more to go (maybe more on the other side if I start feeling less mechanically inept).